Monday, May 24, 2010

My Date with the Double Down

I had to have one. The amazing images of a sandwich with so much fried chicken that there's no room for a bun were haunting my every waking thought.

I debated the idea for weeks. But, like those kids locked in the room with the marshmallows, the temptation was too great. My determination and resolve soon gave way, and I allowed myself to become fully submerged in the giant vat of boiling grease that was soon to be my love affair with Colonel Sanders' newest creation: 540 calories, 32 grams of fat, and 1380 mg of sodium of glorious, deep-fried goodness--also known as the KFC Double Down.
The Double Down features two boneless chicken filets, two pieces of bacon, two slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce, with the tagline being, "This product is so meaty, there's no room for a bun." God Bless America!

I felt like I needed to train before my date with the Double Down, but instead decided that an aspirin as heart attack prophylaxis was probably more appropriate.

I also assembled a team to battle the beast alongside me--Brent Crenshaw (a proven veteran who had already slain the Double Down) and Clay Powell (who likes his KFC like he likes his women--hot and greasy).
The day came and the Double Down was all I imagined it would be. When given the option of getting the Double Down combo meal, I indifferently accepted. I mean, seriously, my blood is about to turn into sludge anyway, what are an additional 260 calories and 740 mg of sodium from potato wedges going to hurt?

I successfully downed every morsel of fried-goodness on my plate, and enjoyed every bit of it. I had done it...I had battled the beast known as the Double Down and won; I stared death in the face and lived to blog about it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you chose some boys to go with you instead of dragging me along! I don't care how good it was-- I just don't think I could ever eat two pieces of chicken as a sandwich. It must be a guy thing. I'm happy you got to experience it though... you sure did put a lot of thought into your "date"-haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could barely read your blog from laughing so hard from the Marshmallow Test video, but when I finally recovered and cleared the tears from my eyes and consoled the aching in my side from my hysterics, I must say I am impressed that despite your research and self-imposed suspense, you still somehow managed to eat that thing. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, you crack me up!
    Jacob just texted me today from his camping trip to let me know he finally ate one, lol. I mean, seriously, that was one of only two texts I received from him all day...it must have been quite the epic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grasshopper, I will teach you the ways of culinary warfare and guide you in your quest to become the skilled master of what is on your plate. For I have many years and battles under my belt, and much experience to share. I shall not rest until you too have achieved the black belt of expansion!

    ReplyDelete